- Aly Marie
10 ways to eat healthy on the go.
Its 2022 and life is BUSY. Between responsibilities, work life and making time for yourself can be challenging, never mind trying to eat healthy in between the chaos. While we are busy with our hectic schedules our body is the one taking a toll. Remember without health, professional success hardly means anything. It is impossible to give our 100 percent when our body is failing to keep up with its surrounding. Your health is literally all you got. It's so cliche to say but yet words have never meant more.
It goes a little something like this. We wake up early in the morning, grab a cup of tea/ coffee to kick start our day and rush to our office/ work. We often rush out of the house with everything but packed meals and snacks. Work is hectic and we hardly make time to eat healthily. Skipping meals and over intake of caffeine is our day-to-day story. While keeping a balance between work and health might seem difficult, it isn’t impossible. There are multiple ways to include healthy eating in our lifestyle and I am here to make it simple and educate you on how to do so.
1. Always have water on hand. Water should be your best friend. Drink at least 3-4L a day. Stay hydrated friends.
2. Plan ahead if you can. I totally understand also not having time at times in your life when everything is moving faster then expected. What do I mean to plan ahead? On a Sunday morning plan for the week. Plan what your snacks look like and also your meals. Get a solid shopping list and execute on those meals ( meals and snacks are dependent on your current goals which I am not going to get into in this blog ).
These next few will be for the non planner and more chaotic time in your life aka me most times while having a business thats ever-growing it becomes challenging for me to plan ahead.
3. A lot of times when my hunger kicks in I will swing into a grocery store and buy a half cooked chicken and some fruit. Sometimes it's also greek yogurt and granola. Nuts, such as almonds or pecans. Brazil nuts are also a great option.
4. Gas station stop? Pepperoni and beef jerky sticks - LOW SUGAR, this is an absolute must. Some beef jerkies and pepperoni are packed with hidden sugars. I always grab gatorade zeros or bio steels as well ( electrolytes also with no sugar ). They really help curb hunger cravings and a sweet tooth.
5. Fast food, I also got you covered. Fast food is still fast food, yes. However if you're hungry you're going to eat so let's just adjust your fast food choices. My go to - is grilled chicken breast wrapped in lettuce with tomato. You can even get some buffalo sauce on the side or another sauce of choice. I will typically get two grilled lettuce wrapped chicken burgers. Some fast food places offer salads too, every now and then ill get one. I just find chicken burgers are easier to eat on the go!
6. Mexican places like Mucho Burrito, Chipotle are one of my top top go to's. They are fast and who doesn't love Mexican. My favourite a rice bowl with double meat ( usually chicken ) double meat to keep it high protein. Half rice extra veggies, no sauce just extra guac for those good fats and some salt and pepper. Seriously SO good.
7. Order in advance from a restaurant. Its not as cost effective as the options above but if you have the means too this option is great.
Thai food - curry and rice
Salmon, steak, grilled chicken, grilled prawns, tofu + baked yam fries ( you have to request this ) with veggies.
Lettuce wrapped burgers
Honestly anything higher protein - high protein makes you feel full longer and keeps your energy levels consistent. Carbs will make you tired and crash.
8. Sometimes I'm not even hungry I just know I should eat. I will swing into a supplement store, even Booster Juice or Jugo Juice at times. You can always sub out the sugary items ie. frozen yogurt for more fruit. Instead of fruit juice sub for coconut / almond / oat milk. Added protein is a must - sometimes I even do extra protein.
9. Low cal, zero sugar drinks. My go-to, Zevias, Bio Steel, Gatorade Zeros, Bubbly. A big jug of electrolyte water is my go-to. Love me some grape bio steel.
10. My number one tip for the busy on the go individual ( or anyone ) is what your supplementing, because you aren't having full home cooked meals all the time its important to supplement.
Get a good greens, I use AG1, its incredible
Adrenal / Cortisol manager
Vitamin B complex
NAD plus IV therapy. These are life changing, ultimately its an extension of supplements. Helps manage chronic stress, enhance athletic performance, anti aging effects, increase energy levels ( it really does its absolutely insane how these make me feel ).
I highly recommend getting a full blood panel of your hormones done. Often times ( from my own experience ) things can be off and/or unbalanced. Being in a constant state of flight or fight in life can really have an effect on your cortisol hormones. I personally have an auto immune disease and hypothyroid so I try my best to eat and supplement accordingly. Most people just ignore it, I have to in the past. Once you realize and tap into understanding and experience just how good you can feel and how well your body can run with the proper fuel, it just becomes a habit, it becomes natural and easier to make mindful, healthier eating choices anywhere you go. Like I said above your health is all you have. Take care of your mind and body, and you will see the changes reflect in all other aspects of your life. What you put into your body is more important than you think. Eat well, live well.